- Planning and managing of the delivery of the day-to-day requirements for producing the Statement of Accounts, following the latest guidance, audit requirements and best practise.
- To plan and be responsible for producing the closure of accounts timetable, ensuring there is adequate time and processes for its delivery.
- To manage and be responsible for the day-to-day liaison with the Council’s external auditors.
- To provide guidance and training on financial accounting matters to colleagues within Financial Services and budget holders.
- To provide professional quality assure oversight of working papers produced by the officers within Financial Services.
- To evaluate and implement any changes in statutory reporting requirements for the Statement of Accounts or other accounting statements and returns.
- To direct, manage and take managerial accountability for the accurate and timely completion of relevant government and other financial returns including Whole of Government Accounts, RA and RO forms.
- To direct, manage and take managerial accountability for the quality and integrity of data within the Council’s Asset Register and how this is reflected in the Council’s year-end financial statements.
- To manage key control processes including reconciliations of the General Ledger with feeder systems such as payroll, creditors, debtors, etc.
- To be responsible for the development and maintenance of the General Ledger coding structure to help ensure the production of accurate and efficient accounting reports.
- Director (Finance & Legal), Head of Service (Financial Services) and Legal/Client support (as and when required).
- Line management of staff including monitoring performance and participating in staff My Annual Reviews.
- Attend service team and staff team meetings.
- To provide support to the Finance Manager and Senior Principal Accountants as and when required.
- To recognise changes in the role and identify personal training requirements to accommodate this.
- To document all work-based procedures relating to this post.
- To prepare Finance Paragraphs for Decision Sheets and Committee Reports.
· To liaise with all other Accountancy teams.
· To do anything else commensurate with the post holder’s level of training and experience and conducive to fulfilment of the job purpose outlined above.
- To be accountable for and promote equality, diversity and community cohesion to meet Council, Directorate and Service objectives. All employees have a responsibility not only for their own behaviour, but also for others regarding equality of opportunity. Any incident must be reported.
- To participate in a My Annual Review meeting and undertake a plan of training where necessary. Develop his/her own skills and expertise in a professional manner.
- In addition to all the responsibilities listed above, all employees must be flexible in their approach and undertake other duties that are commensurate with post holder’s level, wherever they may be, to achieve the objectives of the Directorate.
- To represent the Council and Directorate in a professional manner meeting the Corporate and Directorate aims. To comply with Directorate and Corporate policies.
- If appropriate to be responsible for the recruitment and performance management of designated teams and individuals in accordance with Corporate and Directorate aims and management style.
- To comply with the council’s financial regulation and standing orders
- To actively promote Dudley’s commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults at a level appropriate to this group.
- Employees must comply with health and safety legislation and will be required to comply with the Council’s Health and Safety Policies. All employees must ensure that they take reasonable care of their own health and safety as well as the health and safety of any person that is affected by their actions.
- To be responsible for adhering to legislative requirements and Council Policies and Procedures including, but not exclusively health & safety, Data Protection and Internet/Email use.
Connect2Staff/Connect2Kent, part of Commercial Services Trading/Kent Ltd, is an equal opportunities Employment Agency & Business and positively encourages applications from all suitably qualified and eligible candidates.