· To manage an accountancy team to support the delivery of the corporate financial requirements throughout the financial cycle – budget setting, forecasting and final, statutory accounts to a consistent excellent standard, whilst ensuring that the council’s corporate financial requirements are adhered to.
- Accountable for ensuring that Directorate Leadership Teams effectively manage financial resources to ensure probity, efficiency, and overall value for money, whilst ensuring that Directorates receive high quality data as part of the monthly revenue budget monitoring reports.
- To deliver the Strategic Budget process at Directorate level and lead detailed reviews of the respective base budgets as part of the Medium Term Financial Strategy, including the provision of accurate financial information that allows the profitability of services and the affordability of schemes to be evaluated.
- To be responsible for the co-ordination of the financial forecast reporting for revenue and capital to the respective Leadership Teams and where appropriate Cabinet & Council (Collection Fund & Capital). It will involve managing separate significant funding streams e.g., Dedicated Schools Grant, Housing Revenue Account and Collection Fund.
· To provide both challenge and support to Directors, actively contributing to achieve objectives within the service plan and those of the wider agenda.
· To identify the need for interventions through working predominately with Directors and Service Directors. To help design and develop solutions as necessary.
- To be the lead Finance representative on a number of steering groups and on occasion working with multiple Directorates, whilst promoting collaborative working.
- To compile statistical and statutory revenue, capital and treasury returns whilst complying with government guidelines/legislation, to also include any relevant benchmarking e.g., departmental/central government returns.
· To provide high-level technical expertise or professional advice, to maintain and/or develop systems and processes to support compliance with the relevant legislation and statutory duties and to facilitate the delivery of effective services e.g., VAT and tax advice and guidance across the authority.
- To ensure compliance with and provide advice on the Authority’s financial governance requirements as set out in the Constitution, e.g., External Funding Code of Practice, Financial Regulations, Standing Orders and Early Years and Schools Financial Regulations. To include an annual review and update of the External Funding Code of Practice and Scheme for Financing Schools and guidance for officers, members, governors, and schools.
- To ensure compliance with and provide interpretation, advice, and guidance for Government grants. Coordination of returns and liaison with Government Departments, e.g. BEIS, UK Health Security Agency.
- Management of the Council’s Treasury function including monitoring of cash flows, borrowing decisions, and investing surplus funds in accordance with the Treasury Strategy. Review, update and monitor Prudential Indicators for Capital and Treasury.
- Responsibility for delivering a customer focused traded service and generating income to support the Accountancy budget.
- To lead a team of accountancy staff covering multiple services and including other qualified accountants, whilst ensuring that staff are motivated, developed, supported, and empowered.
- To provide support to and deputise for the Finance Manager, as and when required. To also include the management of the relevant Finance team in the absence of the Finance Manager.
- Attend full service team meetings and lead individual staff sub team meetings for the staff directly reporting to the SPA.
· Ensure that Continuing Professional Development is undertaken to include collaborative peer group working and sharing best practise and technical expertise and to recognise changes in the service and identify personal training requirements to accommodate this.
- To document all work based procedures relating to this post.
- To be accountable for and promote equality, diversity, and community cohesion to meet Council, Directorate and Service objectives. All employees have a responsibility not only for their own behaviour, but also for others regarding equality of opportunity. Any incident must be reported.
- To participate in a My Annual Review meeting and undertake a plan of training where necessary. Develop his/her own skills and expertise in a professional manner.
- In addition to all the responsibilities listed above, all employees must be flexible in their approach and undertake other duties that are commensurate with post holder’s level, wherever they may be, to achieve the objectives of the Directorate.
- To represent the Council and Directorate in a professional manner meeting the Corporate and Directorate aims. To comply with Directorate and Corporate policies.
- If appropriate to be responsible for the recruitment and performance management of designated teams and individuals in accordance with Corporate and Directorate aims and management style.
- To comply with the council’s financial regulations and standing orders.
Connect2Staff/Connect2Kent, part of Commercial Services Trading/Kent Ltd, is an equal opportunities Employment Agency & Business and positively encourages applications from all suitably qualified and eligible candidates.